11/10/10

Since you asked...

You can't see it very well in this picture, but sometimes we wrap Jack up like a mummy.
For fun.
IMG_2273
Just kidding. I really need to take a better picture of his wraps, but this is what I got for now. Maybe I'll write a rap about the wraps. No. Anyway... so, you already know about the constraint wrap on his dominant hand. The brace on his right hand is called a Joe Cool Thumb Splint. It keeps his thumb in a more natural position rather than the default state of clenched fist. Jack calls this his 'silly band'. If you know anything about strange elementary school trends (remember Pogs?) well Silly Bandz are the current tween obsession. All the neighborhood kids wear and trade them, so Jack thought that's what Mommy got for him. Whatever works! The stylish blue number around his right leg is a two part fabrifoam compression wrap that 1) pulls his foot in a correct walking position, and 2) adducts his hip. The whole get-up is a bit of a struggle to put on, but once it's on, he doesn't really care. We try to do it daily for a few hours.

Last week we saw another pediatric Neurologist for a second opinion on his diagnosis and prognosis. A Low/Moderate form of Hemiplegia (Right side only) Cerebral Palsy. So, all the doctors we've seen are in agreement. This Doc also determined that his right leg is shorter than the left and his right foot is slightly smaller than the left (but, I think my feet are different sizes too, so whatever.) The prognosis is good. With all the PT & OT that we're currently knee deep in, he should live a very normal life. He also made a point to mention that Jack seems incredibly intelligent & curious. There probably will be limitations in somethings physical, but don't we all thrive with a little challenge in our own lives??!! Where there are limits in one area, there is abundance in another!

I almost forgot to mention that Jack insisted that the Doc sing The Wheels on the Bus & Itsy Bitsy Spider with him during the examination. We knew he was a man to trust when he gladly sang along :-)

Praise the Lord (My God & King!!) for His rich blessings. I'm brought to humble tears the many times I stop and think about how blessed Derek & I are with such a unique little boy. Wow. But, don't think I'm all strength. There are days, thankfully few, that I get stressed & overwhelmed...but, I remember what Isaiah said 2700 years ago that is still so real today, "He (God) gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak." I'm so thankful for that!

Next week we see an Orthopedist to determine if Jack needs a leg brace to help correct the excessive pronation in his right foot.
Until then...
IMG_2335


Oh, ya, my sister found this in my head. It's a gray hair.
IMG_2228

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dont forget to tell them how Jack insisted that the neurologist sing him the wheels on the bus

Penny Arnold said...

Don't worry about the grey hair because your boots are really cute!

Rachel said...

I fondly (or not so) remember when my sister pulled out my first grey hair! She was thrilled...I was shocked. And now, they're starting to creep around the front and it's much more difficult to hide them! ;)

CHARLES AND POPPY said...

Oh Lindsay...your beautiful word are making me weepy... You're such a wonderful mother!