10/13/09

Canadian Thanksgiving

So, yesterday my family celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving. Family, friends, big dinner. Seems pretty self explanatory to me. My parents are Canadian, I am Canadian. We celebrate the holiday. What I can't figure out is why Americans are surprised that Canada has its own Thanksgiving celebration. Second Monday of October. Sometimes people ask, "What are Canadian's thankful for?". Um, are you kidding me? Igloos, poutine, and ketchup chips. Duh. I suppose they wonder if there is a Canadian version of Christopher Columbus. Maybe some Indians involved? And maybe a rock of some sort. Ya, sort of. Only his name was Peter Friesen and he had a maple leaf in his hat. That's the only difference. No. For the record Canadians are thankful to God for the bountiful harvest. There. Are you happy now? Canadians have a reason to be thankful, so they eat a big dinner with family. Just like the Americans! We just do it on a different day in a different month. See, it’s easy to understand.

DSC_0745

DSC_0704

DSC_0700

(Note: I'm not saying that there is a historical connection between Thanksgiving & Chris Columbus. I was merely representing the confusion that American's have about Canadian Thanksgiving being the same day as American Columbus Day.)

1 comment:

Erin McDonald said...

I am the type that needs no real reason or Holiday to eat BIG! So heck I am all for Canadian Thanksgiving A! We meet a few Canadian's here in the Philippines and so sad that they were out of town on their thanksgiving:( oh well next month! Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! ( I know you dont call it that!)