8/27/10

Brain.

As I do more research about the brain, I become increasingly more convinced that we were designed. I'm not saying that I had huge doubts but WOW. It's really incredible, actually. Stop and think about it. The fact that you can THINK ABOUT IT, is miraculous. No one would look inside at the intricate gears of a watch and think it just somehow evolved from metallic ooze. How much more incredible is the human body? So, anyway. The brain. Jack's brain, specifically.

We had a follow up appointment this AM with Jack's neurologist about the results from his MRI back in July. I'm going to try and explain it without using the brainish jargon that I can't even spell anyway. As you know, the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body... well, the left side of Jack's brain is 'abnormal'. It has thinner folds and more folds than the right side. The left ventricle, which holds spinal fluid, is larger than the one on the right side which also means that the white matter around the ventricle is thinner. Somehow while he was forming in my womb, possibly from a lack of blood, the left side of his brain didn't develop normally. As weird as is sounds to have an asymmetrical brain, he really is quite 'normal'... I mean, you can't expect a kid that cute and smart to have everything going for him, right? :-) We are glad to have a diagnosis - Cerebral Palsy - because it at least explains the reason for his right side weakness.
So, what does this mean for his future? It's hard to be certain about that - with Jack or with anyone for that matter. With PT and OT, he should gain most, if not all, range of motion and dexterity on his right side. We are so thankful it is nothing serious or life threatening!

Yesterday I started Jack's Constraint Therapy - the binding of his 'good' hand to force him to use his weak hand. At first he kept looking at it all wrapped up saying, "All done! All done!", but then he began to adapt. However, instead of using his right hand to pick up objects he used his mouth! He's inventive at least! We'll continue to do this Constraint Therapy for two hours a day for eight weeks. Fun times!
IMG_1708

As I've mentioned previously, this is a minor developmental disorder and nothing compared to the many children who have to live with severe disabilities.
Thank you for all your prayers and encouraging words!

- I'll leave you with this super cute face -
DSC_1108

7 comments:

Kirstin Boeken said...

Thank you for sharing Lindsay! Jack is absolutely incredible!

Unknown said...

that's my cute boy! he is so perfect in every way! i had him eat pasta off of his right index finger and he did very well. we had fun with it. love you all so much, mamma

Karen said...

thanks for the update Lindsay, we're glad to be kept up to date. Praying for you guys! XO

Kellee the Caffeinated said...

so happy for jack and you two!!! this is really good news!

i love the last picture!!! such a freakin cutie!

Kellee

KBC said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin Brooks Cairns said...

Thanks for sharing, Linz... and for being so positive and glorifying God with it. Many people (probably myself included) would not handle this as well as you are. Again, your strength and thankfulness for life inspire me.

all my love, KB

The Bowden Family said...

I just want to say that it makes my heart so happy to see what a positive outlook you have! Jack is so cute,smart and resourceful (using his mouth, lol)! This is just a minor bump in the road. But I have to say, he looks so sad with his arm bound!