8/25/10

Remember that one time...

Remember that one time where I actually updated this blog often? Ya, I don't either. Really, I'd like to, but then I don't. So that's that.

Anyway.

What's new you ask? (Even if you didn't ask, I'm going to tell you)
Well, let's go back a few months... lots of months... say 12 months when Jack was starting to reach for objects. He used his left hand. He always used his left hand. And, as he became more active, he ignored his right hand and did everything with his left. I assumed this meant that he'd just be a lefty. That's fine. I'd seen him one or twice transfer an object between hands (a developmental milestone) so when prompted by Jack's Dr., that was checked off the list just like sitting up without support. At his 12 month well baby appointment, I mentioned the left handedness thing and it was mostly shrugged off by the NP. It was getting kind of weird, however, that his right arm would just hang at a 90 degree angle all the time with his fist clenched. All the while, his left fingers were a circus of dexterity. I made it a point at his 15 month well baby to stress how problematic his handedness was becoming. Thankfully, the doctor noticed it immediately. When held an object at Jack's right hand, he'd reach all the way around to grab it with his left. When an object was placed in his right hand, he'd immediately pass it to his left. What kind of developmental problem could this be? So, STAT Blood tests were ordered, along with a referral to a neurologist, and an appointment for an MRI. YIKES!
Through all of the tests and questions. I prayed. My family prayed. Friends prayed. God gave me so much peace. Whatever it was, big or small, it was going to be okay. The prayers were so evident that Jack started to use his right hand more, he'd actually pick up objects with it and pass toys between his hands. WOW! I saw improvement already. Praise the Lord!
In early July we saw the neurologist and a few weeks later Jack got an MRI. According to the neurologist, our best bet at repairing this developmental delay was physically therapy. And with much of that, he'd gain full use of his right arm. Three weeks ago, when Jack started walking we also noticed that he'd sometimes drag his right leg. What could this be? It effected only the right side of his body.
The MRI results came back while we were up in BC, so as soon as we got back Jack's pediatrician informed us of 'abnormalities' on the left side of his brain (which effects the right side of the body). That was as much as she could tell us, since she wasn't an expert. At that time she determined to call it Cerebral Palsy, since that is an umbrella term for many developmental problems. Thankfully CP is non-progressive, so it won't get worse. Physical Therapy is the key to getting Jack's right side to catch up to his left. This Friday we have another appointment with Jack's neurologist to get more information about the 'abnormalities', and in the mean time we have two PT assessments.
This morning he was evaluated by the Early Start Program offered free by our state. He's at normal or above socially, communicatively, and cognitively. His right side fine motor skills are at 9 months and his left are at 18 months. His overall gross motor skills are at 13 months. So, we can only get better from here! We are so fortunate that his delays are minor and not anything compared to difficulties others have to face. We are so thankful for the blessing that Jack is to us!
I don't normally write that much on this blog, but I know some people were wondering about all the doctors appointments and tests. So that is that!

3 comments:

Kirstin Boeken said...

Jack is an AMAZING blessing and he is also blessed by an AMAZING family! So glad you have answers and can start your PT :) I look forward to hearing all about it (I am sure by tomorrow Jack will be able to pick up the phone, call me, and tell me all about it! He is SOOOO awesome!)

Kellee the Caffeinated said...

I am so sorry that you had to go through all of the waiting on pins and needles, we know how that goes and it's scary! But, I am so happy that Jack is healthy and doesn't have anything that is progressive!!!

Yay for Jack and Yay for you guys!!! Give the little guy a big hug from us even though he is terrified of me!!! He is such a cutie!!!

XO,
Kellee

Lori said...

Wow. I'll definitely be praying for you guys and, especially, for Jack. Praise God that it is something that can only get better!